It can be difficult to maintain an active lifestyle all year long, but you would think that would become easier in the summertime. Unfortunately, along with the heat it sometimes becomes increasingly tempting to sit inside and enjoy the air conditioning all day long. We wanted to share a few tips with our S4C friends on how to keep active when it seems too warm to be outside:
- Try going for a walk or a run early in the morning. It’s the coolest time of the day, and the endorphins will help to boost your mood for hours! If you’re not a morning person, remember how many extra hours of daylight you have now. Maybe go for a stroll in the evening instead?
- Drink a LOT of fluids. The more water you have in your system, the better your body’s cooling mechanisms will work.
- Go swimming! The water is warm, and it’s excellent exercise. Just slather on some sun screen and cool off in a nice lake or pool.
- Keep your clothing light and loose – and consider wearing a hat.
- Don’t just lay around on the beach, get up and try out a new activity. Go for a walk along the beach – the extra effort involved in walking on sand makes the exercise even more effective. Join that beach volleyball game, try kayaking, tennis, baseball or maybe sailing? There are plenty of fun summer activities to keep your body moving.
- Need to do something productive? Wash the car!
Just remember to wear sunscreen and stay hydrated – and take advantage of this beautiful weather!